Joris Ebbers is an Associate Professor of Entrepreneurship and Innovation at the University of Amsterdam Business School and deputy head of its Entrepreneurship and Innovation department. Before becoming an academic, he worked as a freelance production assistant and location manager in the Dutch film and TV industry (during which his unsought for acting career peaked with a IMDb credit as an assistant mechanic for his wife’s short film Nagelaten), a strategy consultant in the field of telecommunications, and a trainee at the Radio Spectrum Policy unit of the European Commission in Brussels.
Joris attained his PhD in 2009 for his dissertation Organizational dynamics in social networks: Contracts and reputations in the film industry, which was partially funded by the VandenEnde Foundation. His main research interests are entrepreneurship, social networks, creativity and organization. He studies this in the context of creative industries and business incubators / accelerators. He was a visiting scholar at New York University Stern School of Business (2008), Cass Business School London (2011), University of Bologna (2013), Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (2015), and Freie Universität Berlin (2018).
His research has been published in international journals that include Journal of Business Venturing, Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice, International Journal of Research in Marketing, British Journal of Management, Strategic Organization, Journal of Cultural Economics, and Human Relations. Most of these research projects have been conducted in collaboration with public and private partners including Voordekunst, the main crowdfunding platform for the arts and culture in the Netherlands; B. Amsterdam, one of the largest start-up hubs in Europe; the Hermitage Museum in Amsterdam; and the Dutch Film Fund. Finally, he is a member of the editorial board of Journal of Business Venturing.
This is a short employment sketch:
- 2015 – present: Associate professor of Entrepreneurship and Innovation at the University of Amsterdam Business School
- 2015 – present: Deputy head of theEntrepreneurship and Innovation section at the University of Amsterdam Business School
- 2015 – 2016: Management team of the Amsterdam Center for Entrepreneurship
- 2013 – present: Co-founder of the Entrepreneurship and Management in the Creative Industries (EMCI) specialization in the MSc. Business Administration at the University of Amsterdam Business School
- 2012 – 2015: Assistant professor of Strategy and Entrepreneurship at the University of Amsterdam Business School
- 2009 – 2012: Postdoctoral researcher Cultural Entrepreneurship and Management at the University of Amsterdam Business School
- 2005: Trainee at the European Commission DG Information Society and Media, Radio Spectrum Policy Unit
- 2004 – 2005: Junior strategy consultantat Stratix Consulting
- 2000 – 2004 Freelancer in film and TV in production and location departments for projects that include Phileine zegt sorry, Ellis in glamourland, Dunya & Desie and Ocean’s 12.
For more information about Joris Ebbers see: